Sunday, December 6, 2009

Nap Time

I first heard bits of 'Everything is Healing Nicely' on the Zappa.com streaming radio, understanding it to be an extension of 'The Yellow Shark.' The song 'Nap Time' is uncharacteristic for FZ's work, in my opinion, because it's very slow and soft. The song adeptly conveys a sense of tired, of exhaustion and a need for sleep. Since FZ, in the latter stages of the cancer that would prove fatal, was known to have low energy at the time, it's hard for me not to read deeply into the manner and presentation of the song.

In the while an alphorn laments to a series of percussion instruments, a woman recites Japanese poetry.  




I have met my love.
When I compare this present
With feelings of the past,
My passion is now as if
I have never loved before.

Though I know indeed
That the night will come again
After day has dawned,
Still, in truth, I hate the sight
Of the morning's coming light.
Such a strange but lovely composition. It's one of my favorites and it's hard to find its mate, or songs of similar composition to play alongside it. I am with little energy these past few days. Such wild musical forays leave me depleted and it's hard to maintain a mental pace. I am grateful for this song.

No comments: