Saturday, December 19, 2009

Huh?

Nearly two weeks and almost two days until it's over and I haven't written anything for Zappadan.

My excuse was going to be "Oh, didn't you know? I was celebrating by my ZFT impersonation. Did you like it? Promise a lot up front but provide only delays an disappointment?"

After all, 2009 is almost over and what has come from the fabled vaults? The Lumpy Money Project and Philly '76.

Which is unfair. It's been a rough year for everyone. Even if they came out with five to ten different releases (the Roxy movie, the suspected Edgard Varèse album, 40th anniversary sets for 'Absolutely Free,' 'Crusin' with Ruben and the Jets,' 'Uncle Meat,' and 'Hot Rats', for instance) who would have the spare cash to buy them? And ultimately, out of possibly some unreleased 'Hot Rats' music, would my life be enhanced with such material?

Probably, probably not. No clue, really.

Ultimately, I've spent this Zappadan listening to some of the music but feeling, like noted in the previous entry, tired. Not tired of the music, for I was glad it was there. I'll be glad it's there on the nine-hour bus ride that awaits me in a few days. I'll be glad for it in a month when I'm stranded in an office building, typing away and in need of rescuing from the terminal boredom.

It's just a season where the exhaustion of the world, or at least, my very small slice of it, has left me quiet.

Though, thanks for Jon for the ideas. If this blog doesn't go into hibernation after the 21st, we'll see what comes of his good ideas. I should get him to write for this place now but he does most of the work over at www.gravediggerslocal.com already.

2 comments:

zencomix said...

It's been a slow season for me too.

J said...

Zappa Inc., GailZ-Co, and the Dweez-machine should not be mistaken for the musical product of Frank Zappa. While artists (and the Z family), even dead artists, are entitled to their royalties, the Z family seems nearly usurious in regards to Zappa's musical product, whether in terms of CDs, scores, youtube, other people covering zappa, etc. That tends to ruin the par-tay for some of us, as does the holier than thou aspect of some zappa fans (many of whom don't know a semi-quaver from suzy creamcheese---I bought my first FZ record--over-nite sensation-- like in 1980 or so....)

So I'm a bit cynical about Zappadan, though some of the obscure FZ was cool. It seems most of Z-dan-sters focus on the somewhat overexposed rock/comedy/political stuff-- more attention devoted to specifically musical aspects of FZ would be cool, like Varese, Boulez, Palermo's jazz renditions, relation to modern classical, orchestration, etc.

Alas, even zappa-people can be as mercenary as any rock fans (even outdoing, say, deadheads)