Wednesday, December 10, 2008

BLACK.

Quick note - as since I've chumped on my FZ only audio diet from here until the end of this magnificent celebration, I've tried to incorporate some bands that FZ liked. Though I've lost a lot of the interviews (they're floating around the internet SOME-AH-WHERE) I got from my higher-educational-years of downloading, there is this night that FZ hosted a radio program, spreading his OWN musical message and playing other music as well.

From memory - "I don't care what anyone says. I still like BLACK SABBATH."

Of course, Black Sabbath gets a mention in '200 Motels,' and hey - FZ digs the Sabbath. Henry Rollins suggested instead of naming hurricanes after people, we call them 'The First Four Black Sabbath Albums' and I tend to agree that quartet of releases can really MESS YO' ASS UP.

Anyway, during my HIGHSCHOOLTEENAGEYEARS, the folks running THE BIG DANCE at the end of the year were soliciting musical suggestions. Having a radical family that seemed to support my wishes despite not knowing terribly WHAT or WHY I was getting into, my Grandma had hooked me up with SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH a prior Christmas. Despite its cover of a tortured soul on a bed with SIX-SIX-SIX carved into the headboard, the album has a really nice song on it called 'Fluff,' something I thought would THRILL my TEENAGE peers.

Of course, when providing the CD for review, the head honcho looked at the demonic front cover, probably noticed that all sexual characteristics (primary AND seconday) had been blurred to strike away the women's nipples and the men's PACKAGES. And that it was called SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH - I was SHOT. DOWN.

Shot down without them even listening. 'Fluff' is a decent peice and would make a grand addition to any other teenage HOP. But that's what you get when your cover is evil looking.

Listen to Black Sabbath. 'Master of Reality' is my favorite. And then get out of the seventies.

Also, FZ said he liked the UK Subs song 'I live in a Car' as well as the Stranglers. So he liked some punk. FLOWER, PUNK.

No comments: